Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 1 - Heading South

Hola a todos!

I left my job, communities, friends, and family to go backpacking for six months throughout ten countries in South America.  Tonight, I take a 10-hour flight to Buenos Aires, Argentina to kick off the trip.  From there, I will travel clockwise throughout the continent (more below).  I plan to keep everyone posted on my adventures through this blog, instead of directly bombarding everyone with emails.  Please click on “Join this site” to keep updated.  

If you would like to contact me directly, please feel free to email me, but be aware that I will be traveling so it may take a while to respond!


How did this start?

It was 2005 and four of us were sitting in a small hotel in Southern Mexico getting ready for the day and I was mesmerized by the enormous backpack that one guy was unpacking to find his sandals.  This guy was seeing the world, at least Latin America, and for six months.  I was living in Mexico and taking weekend trips with a small pack, but I couldn’t fathom putting my entire world in a backpack and taking off for months like a nomad!  I thought it was a crazy idea, but something about the idea stuck.

Why?  

Well, there are a few reasons:

- I love travel and adventure
- I speak Spanish and want to learn Portuguese
- The trip gives me time to reflect on my career direction
- I’ve saved up enough money
- It may be the last opportunity I have to do something like this (e.g., house, kids, career).   

But mostly, it’s because I want the experience.  

Where?

10 countries in South America:  Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Uruguay, and Paraguay.

How?

Plane, bus, and boat.  It just depends on the country.  The boat is reserved for the Amazon!

Updates

I’ll provide updates about every few weeks, depending on internet access.

Thanks and hope you enjoy the posts!

Saludos,
Ashley

2 Comments:

At February 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM , Blogger Jeff Shuey said...

Congrats on taking this risk. Most people cant (or wont) Take Risks like this for a whole host of reasons. But you are doing it. Even though you said not to say this ... Travel Safely! We'll look forward to hearing the stories for years to come at Goldenbell Toastmasters.

 
At February 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM , Blogger Mike Barbre said...

Much admiration for you and your journey. You pulled the cord on gaining a whole world of possibilities, experiences, and friendships. I envy you, look forward to reading your posts, and hope to follow in your footsteps.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home