Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Brazilian Amazon: Mosquitos & Piranhas & Ants, Oh My!

¡Hola a todos!


On the Amazon river
Since before I began planning my adventure, I had anticipated the sensation of floating down the middle of one of the largest rivers in the world, surrounded by the Amazon rainforest and all of its creatures.  Instead of doing some tour of the river, I wanted to float like the locals do and that is exactly what I did.    

My Brazilian Amazon experience consisted of two things:  a public boat ride from Tabatinga to Manaus down the Amazon river (check here  for more info) and a three-day tour of the jungle around Manaus.  

Also, just in case you're wondering what happened to Venezuela, I will provide an update on that.  Based on the amount of time I had left, the money it would cost, and the wavering security of the country, I decided not to venture into Venezuela this time.  I`ll catch Angel Falls on another trip to South America!  Now back to Brazil...

From Leticia into Tabatinga
In our hammocks - with Ines and Ben
From Bogotá, I flew into Leticia (on the border with Brazil) and made my way to Tabatinga to buy my boat passage to Manaus.  At the hostel in Leticia, I met a couple from Portugal and a mother and son from Los Angeles.  I spent the next two days getting to know all of them and ended up traveling with the two from Portugal.  One task before I could make my boat trip was to buy a hammock.  Because I was pressed for time, I hadn’t thought about buying one, but luckily, I ran into a guy from Israel who had just done the trip and needed to get rid of his.  I bought it for about $5.00.  


Then, I went with the Portuguese couple to buy passage to Manaus, a four-day, three-night trip with all meals included (R150 or about $75).  This is what it looked like:

Boat situation
Boarding and loading the boat

  • Two levels of people, all in hammocks (One level also had cargo)
  • One level with a “bar” and snack area, including the deck to mingle on or escape the other two floors
  • Mess hall with meals times of 6 a.m., 11 a.m., and 5 p.m. (the bell rang at each meal time and you rushed to get in line)
  • 3-4 people in hammocks in 2 meters (about 2 yards) of space, three abreast and with luggage stuffed under your hammock or tied to a pole
  • Hallway of bathrooms and showers
  • Cabins for the big spenders (about R500 or $250)



People
With David, Michelle, and our Peruvian friend
  • An American couple from Reno and Oakland/San Francisco - Both enjoy adventure and were traveling throughout Brazil.  David spoke some Portuguese.  After the anticipation of dinner was over, David, Michelle, and I spent every evening on the top deck playing cards and watching the sunset.  
  • A Portuguese couple - Ines and Ben first helped me navigate Brazil and slept in hammocks beside mine.  Ines wants to spend her life traveling and intends to do so.
  • A missionary family from New Jersey - They spent the last four years in the jungle and were returning to the States for one year.  They spent the last 15 years doing four on, one off.  Their youngest daughter was good at cards.
  • Two philosophers from Plata del Mar, Argentina - They were on vacation from their teaching duties and also revising one of their professor`s papers.
  • A Peruvian lawyer - He spoke neither English nor Portuguese, but was a great storyteller. I had to translate for the American couple.
  • A local guy visiting his sick father - He spoke English, so we were able to communicate some.

Activities
One of the many photographed sunsets
  • Watching sunrise and sunset every day
  • Getting to know neighbors
  • Playing cards (including baseball, game taught to me by 11-year old child from the missionary family)
  • Reading and reading
  • Planning for next adventures
  • Watching the shore of the Amazon
  • Eating meals (something everyone looked forward to!)
  • Napping a few times a day
  • Learning some Portuguese

After four days of boat life, we were ready to be back on land.  Right as we reached Manaus, we were able to see the “meeting of the waters” a cool phenomenon where the waters from one part of the Amazon (black or steeped tea color and dirty light brown color) meet.  It´s really beautiful.

Manaus & Jungle Trip
Meeting of the waters
In Manaus I enjoyed the city with the American couple, Michelle and David, by touring the old theater - Manaus used to be the Paris of the Amazon.  Then we parted ways: Michelle and David flew out to São Luis, to view famous sand dunes, and I decided to do a three-day jungle tour even though I had done a tour in southern Peru with Laurie.


The jungle tour showed me a completely different view of the Amazon basin. Not only was it Brazil instead of Peru, but we covered much more ground, or water, and saw more of the river and its tributaries.  The Peru trip was focused on a specific, but wildlife-filled lake off of one of the Amazon tributaries.  But on this tour we began by taking a car, a boat, a van, and then another boat, in total two hours, to get to our destination.  We passed by some new vegetation, including silk-bearing trees.  Again, I stayed in a cabin.  This tour included our tour guide, Matias, Emily, an American studying Portuguese in Salvador, Brazil, Habib, an Australian coffee expert, and a Dutch couple, Tom and Masja, who joined a day later.  

Wildlife & Piranha Fishing
Holding a caiman of 1.5 years
The guide was excellent.  On this trip, we saw some monkeys, sloths and many birds, learned about medicinal plants, and drank water from a tree root.  We also held a caiman (similar to an alligator), which we searched for at night in our boat.  The guide grabbed it from the weeds in the river.   Additionally, we swam in the Amazon (all limbs still in tact) and fished for piranhas (but not in the same part!).  Fishing for piranhas was quite interesting as we used simple poles with raw chicken as bait.  I caught two, but unfortunately, mine were both too small to eat, so had to be thrown back.  Oh well.  When Tom, the Dutch guy, caught his first fish, he accidentally dropped it into the boat.  Emily, who is not very fond of fish, freaked out as it flopped around behind her.  I think I would have done the same, especially after seeing the guide give a piranha a leaf, which the piranha devoured automatically as a reflex.


Each morning, we ate a smorgasbord of delicious food and then doused ourselves with DEET in preparation for walking through the jungle.  At lunch and in the evenings we talked travel and played cards.  The guide even taught us a game.  The last day, we visited a family living in the Amazon, saw their pineapple and manioc plantation, and played with their dart pipes.  The guide also created a few crowns out of palm tree leaves and gave them to Emily and me.

Back in the City
Our group - with Habib, Emily, Tom and Masja
Afterward, Emily and I (the rest had a longer jungle tour) were whisked back to town where we hung out at a local bar until her flight.  We also tried a bizarre local soup called Tacacá, which contained manioc goo and leaves akin to spinach that had anesthetic propertie
s.  My mouth actually became slightly numb when eating them.  I stayed an extra day to remove the DEET from my clothing and prepare for my next destination, Salvador.

Observations
  • Spanish helps a lot in understanding Portuguese - Everyone told me that I should speak Spanish slowly and Brazilians would understand me, but I wouldn't understand their Portuguese.  I found that I actually could understand them and began communicating fairly quickly.
  • English vs. Spanish - More Brazilians speak English than Spanish.  In fact, they generally prefer it.
  • Brazilian coffee is bitter - When compared to the coffee in Colombia, the Brazilian coffee is still good, but it is much more bitter!  
  • Brazil blew my budget - I had heard it all along, but didn't experience it until I arrived.  Brazil is very expensive.  In many cases, it is like going to Europe, or at least being back in the States.

Next:  Out of the Amazon - Salvador, Lencois, Rio and Ilha Grande!

Ciao,
Ashley



Approaching Benjamin Constant's dock

At the dock - need a pillow for your voyage?

Hammocks

Rainbow over the Amazon
Moving along

The vista

An island in the Amazon

Another sunset

Ben and Ines

Too full?

Church on the Amazon

Sunset

Enjoying the sunset on the deck of the boat

Flooded on the Amazon

On the river

Enjoying the breeze from the deck

With Melissa and David

Approaching Manaus, our destination

In the jungle

On the front of the boat

Jungle trees

Macaws in flight

I like the front of the boat, a better view!

Sunset coming up

Perched woodpecker


Meeting of the waters, take 2


View from the helm

Scorpion spider ready to attack

Trying to climb a hanging vine

The guide climing a hanging vine

Half a bullet ant - 24 hours of pain when bitten!

Drinking from the roots of a tree

Porous roots

Moss as a source of drinking water

Our lodge in the jungle

Bird nests hanging from the tree

My first piranha!

All of the piranhas!

Sunrise

Early morning on the Amazon

Silk tree

Local home and plantation

A pineapple is born

Grasshoppers in line

Blow dart practice

Cooked piranha -- mmmm

Queen of the jungle

At home in the jungle, a local's house

The theater in Manaus

1 Comments:

At August 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. You are glowing. I hope you want to come back someday, but I will understand if you don't!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home